On 24/11/15 06:31, Pavel Stehule wrote:

    Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> writes:
    > On 11/23/15 3:11 AM, Corey Huinker wrote:
    >> +1 to both pg_size_bytes() and ::bytesize. Both contribute to
    making the
    >> statements more self-documenting.

    > The function seems like overkill to me if we have the type. Just my
    > opinion though. I'm thinking the type could just be called
    'size' too
    > (or prettysize?). No reason it has to be tied to bytes (in
    particular
    > this would work for bits too).

    Please, no.  That's *way* too generic a name.

    I do not actually agree with making a type for this anyway.  I can
    tolerate a function, but adding a datatype is overkill; and it will
    introduce far more definitional issues than it's worth. (eg, which
    other types should have casts to/from it, and at what level)

so pg_size_bytes is good enough for everybody?

Regards

Pavel

                            regards, tom lane

perhaps pg_size_bites for those people who want: KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB, PiB, ,.. ??? :-)

Cheers,
Gavin