On 12/13/15 9:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Corey Huinker<corey.huin...@gmail.com>  writes:
>So, I'd propose we following syntax:
>ALTER INDEX foo SET DISABLED
>-- does the SET indisvalid = false shown earlier.
This is exactly*not*  what Tatsuo-san was after, though; he was asking
for a session-local disable, which I would think would be by far the more
common use-case.  It's hard for me to see much of a reason to disable an
index globally while still paying all the cost to maintain it.  Seems to
me the typical work flow would be more like "disable index in a test
session, try all your queries and see how well they work, if you conclude
you don't need the index then drop it".

Both have value.

Sometimes the only realistic way to test this is to disable the index server-wide and see if anything blows up. Actually, in my experience, that's far more common than having some set of queries you can test against and call it good.

FWIW, I also don't see the use case for disabling maintenance on an index. Just drop it and if you know you'll want to recreate it squirrel away pg_get_indexdef() before you do.