On 9 December 2015 at 18:31, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:48:04PM +0530, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> >> Thank you for having a look.
> >
> > I would not bother mentioning this detail in the pg_upgrade manual page:
> >
> > +   Since the format of visibility map has been changed in version 9.6,
> > +   <application>pg_upgrade</> creates and rewrite new
> <literal>'_vm'</literal>
> > +   file even if upgrading from 9.5 or before to 9.6 or later with link
> mode (-k).
>
> Really?  I know we don't always document things like this, but it
> seems like a good idea to me that we do so.

Agreed.

For me, rewriting the visibility map is a new data loss bug waiting to
happen. I am worried that the group is not taking seriously the potential
for catastrophe here. I think we can do it, but I think it needs these
things

* Clear notice that it is happening unconditionally and unavoidably
* Log files showing it has happened, action by action
* Very clear mechanism for resolving an incomplete or interrupted upgrade
process. Which VMs got upgraded? Which didn't?
* Ability to undo an upgrade attempt, somehow, ideally automatically by
default
* Ability to restart a failed upgrade attempt without doing a "double
upgrade", i.e. ensure transformation is immutable

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>