On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Aleksander Alekseev <
a.aleks...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> > It'd really like to see it being replaced by a queuing lock
> > (i.e. lwlock) before we go there. And then maybe partition the
> > freelist, and make nentries an atomic.
>
> I believe I just implemented something like this (see attachment). The
> idea is to partition PROCLOCK hash table manually into NUM_LOCK_
> PARTITIONS smaller and non-partitioned hash tables. Since these tables
> are non-partitioned spinlock is not used and there is no lock
> contention.

This idea can improve the situation with ProcLock hash table, but I
think IIUC what Andres is suggesting would reduce the contention
around dynahash freelist and can be helpful in many more situations
including BufMapping locks.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.