On 12/18/15 2:50 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us
<mailto:t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:

    Whether we really need a feature like that isn't clear though; it's not
    like it's hard to test things that way now.  Stick in a BEGIN with no
    COMMIT, you're there.  The problem only comes in if you start expecting
    the behavior to be bulletproof.  Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about
    what people would believe a --dry-run switch to be good for ... but
    I doubt it.

I'm on the same line: BEGIN/ROLLBACK requires trivial effort and a
--dry-run option might give a false sense of security, but it cannot
possibly rollback side-effects of user functions which modify filesystem
or interact with the outside world in some other way.

The issue with that is if you're \i'ing files in and one of those happens to contain a COMMIT, you're hosed. I can see some use for a "must rollback" mode of BEGIN.