On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > -1 from me.  I don't think we should muck with the way pg_size_pretty
>> > works.
>>
>> Yeah.
>>
>> + static const unit_multiplier unit_multiplier_table[] =
>> + {
>> +     {"B", 1L},
>> +     {"kiB", 1024L},
>> +     {"MiB", 1024L * 1024},
>> +     {"GiB", 1024L * 1024 * 1024},
>> +     {"TiB", 1024L * 1024 * 1024 * 1024},
>> +     {"PiB", 1024L * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024},
>> This is rather close to memory_unit_conversion_table in guc.c. Would
>> it be worth refactoring those unit tables into something more generic
>> instead of duplicating them?
>

> yes, it is possible with following impacts:
>
> 1. We need add PB to memory_unit_conversion_table in guc.c

No real objection to that. It would would make sense to have it, but
we could not use it directly for a GUC. This just reminded me that
even if we support TB in GUC params, it is not possible to set for
example a GUC_UNIT_KB param to more than 2TB because those are limited
to be int32.

> 2. This table holds multipliers in JEDEC standard - and introduce other
> standards IEC, SI there isn't good idea.
>
> Is it ok?

Do you think it would be interesting to have GUC parameters able to
use those units? If this is a standard, it may make sense to actually
have them, no? Just a random thought, that's not something this patch
should take care of, but it would be good to avoid code duplication
where we can avoid it.
Regards,
--
Michael