On 12/28/15 1:15 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Currently within the executor
a tuple is a TupleTableSlot which contains one Datum array, which has
all the values coming out of the HeapTuple; but for split storage
tuples, we will need to have a TupleTableSlot that has multiple "Datum
arrays" (in a way --- because, actually, once we get to vectorise as in
the preceding paragraph, we no longer have a Datum array, but some more
complex representation).

I think that trying to make the FDW API address all these concerns,
while at the same time*also*  serving the needs of external data
sources, insanity will ensue.

Are you familiar with DataFrames in Pandas[1]? They're a collection of Series[2], which are essentially vectors. (Technically, they're more complex than that because you can assign arbitrary indexes). So instead of the normal collection of rows, a DataFrame is a collection of columns. Series are also sparse (like our tuples), but the sparse value can be anything, not just NULL (or NaN in panda-speak). There's also DataFrames in R; not sure how equivalent they are.

I mention this because there's a lot being done with dataframes and they might be a good basis for a columnstore API, killing 2 birds with one stone.

BTW, the underlying python type for Series is ndarrays[3], which are specifically designed to interface to things like C arrays. So a column store could potentially be accessed directly.

Aside from potential API inspiration, it might be useful to prototype a columnstore using Series (or maybe ndarrays).

[1] http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/generated/pandas.DataFrame.html
[2] http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/api.html#series
[3] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.10.0/reference/internals.html