On 2016-01-02 22:25:31 +0100, Brar Piening wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
> >That seems like a pretty straight forward bug. But it hinges on the
> >client side calling shutdown() on the socket. I don't know enough about
> >.net's internals to judge wether it does so. I've traced things far
> >enough to find
> >"Disposing a Stream object flushes any buffered data, and essentially
> >calls the Flush method for you. Dispose also releases operating system
> >resources such as file handles, network connections, or memory used for
> >any internal buffering. The BufferedStream class provides the capability
> >of wrapping a buffered stream around another stream in order to improve
> >read and write performance."
> >https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.stream%28v=vs.110%29.aspx
> >
> >which'd plausibly use shutdown().
>
> In the new days of Microsoft you can confirm that even more...
> http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System/net/System/Net/Sockets/Socket.cs,6245

Thanks for digging thatup!

Indeed it does use shutdown(). If I read the npgsql code that'll even be
done in the exception handling path. So fixing the 0 byte case might
already do the trick.

Could any of the windows user try to check whether fixing
        if (r != SOCKET_ERROR && b > 0)
                /* Read succeeded right away */
                return b;
        if (r != SOCKET_ERROR && b >= 0)