On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
> >
> > postgres=# select pg_size_bytes('');
> > ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: ""
>
> I think that's a pretty bad error message.  I mean, the user is
> calling a function that takes text as an input data type.  So, where's
> numeric involved?

Is there a way to force CONTEXT output in the reported error?  I guess that
could help.

I'm also kind of wondering what the intended use case for this
> function is.  Why do we want it?  Do we want it?

As suggested above a usecase could be like the following:

SELECT relname FROM pg_class WHERE pg_relation_size(oid) >
pg_size_bytes('100 GB');

I think it's neat and useful.

--
Alex