Maybe because most of the machines in the world (by a titanic landslide) are Windoze
boxes.

> I think it is more pain
> than sense. In case of Windows I'd rely on a binary
> distribution and a piece of
> documentation telling how the source can be built.

Sounds like a Windows port to me.  How is this "Windows build" going to be created
without a "Windows port"?

> I don't
> expect many
> people to do it. Usually Open Source guys run *NIX

Taken a poll lately?

> >Sorry, couldn't help myself...Seriously, it's a cultural thing, I
> >wouldn't
> >plan on a mighty hoard of windows database developers who
> are put off by
> >commercial db's that run on unix and windows.  I imagine they are
> >similarly off-putting if it were an option.
> >

> In case of SAP DB they use a tool kit for building
>
> http://www.sapdb.org/develop/sap_db_development.htm

> It is truly painful to build it - even on UNIX (I haven't tried on
> Windows and I won't try in the future).
> As far as I have seen it throughs millions of compiler warnings.

It was simple to build.  And if you don't want to build it, they have binary
distributions.  I have SAP/DB running on this machine (along with SQL*Server,
PostgreSQL, DB/2, Oracle, Firebird and a few others)  SAP DB is or can be used for SAP
(basically, it's a port of Adabas).  That makes it kind of important, for obvious
reasons.