Tom,

I am very strongly in favor of this idea.   I would personally prefer it if
the Join collapsing parmeter could be set at query time through a SET
statement, but will of course defer to the difficulty level in doing so.

> Comments?  In particular, can anyone think of pithy names for these
> variables?  The best I'd been able to come up with is MAX_JOIN_COLLAPSE
> and MAX_FROM_COLLAPSE, but neither of these exactly sing...

How about:
EXPLICIT_JOIN_MINIMUM
and
FROM_COLLAPSE_LIMIT

Just to make the two params not sound so identical?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions