Hi,

I have reviewed the patch and it looks good to me.
make/make install/make check is fine (when done without -Wall -Werror).

Here are few comments:
1.
With -Wall -Werror, I see couple of warnings:

postgres_fdw.c: In function ‘estimate_path_cost_size’:
postgres_fdw.c:2248:13: error: ‘run_cost’ may be used uninitialized in this
function [-Werror=uninitialized]
postgres_fdw.c: In function ‘conversion_error_callback’:
postgres_fdw.c:3832:6: error: ‘attname’ may be used uninitialized in this
function [-Werror=uninitialized]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make: *** [postgres_fdw.o] Error 1

2. Typo:
scna_clauses => scan_clauses

3. Does this new addition requires documentation?

I did not see any issues with my testing. Code changes are good too.
Patch has very good test-cases testing everything required. Nice work.

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh.ba...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Etsuro Fujita <fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2016/02/05 17:50, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>>
>>     Btw, IIUC, I think the patch fails to adjust the targetlist of the
>>>     top plan created that way, to output the fdw_scan_tlist, as
>>>     discussed in [1] (ie, I think the attached patch is needed, which is
>>>     created on top of your patch pg_fdw_join_v8.patch).
>>>

>> fdw_scan_tlist represents the output fetched from the foreign server and
>>> is not necessarily the output of ForeignScan. ForeignScan node's output
>>> is represented by tlist argument to.
>>>
>>> 1119     return make_foreignscan(tlist,
>>> 1120                             local_exprs,
>>> 1121                             scan_relid,
>>> 1122                             params_list,
>>> 1123                             fdw_private,
>>> 1124                             fdw_scan_tlist,
>>> 1125                             remote_exprs,
> [...]
>>          ->  Nested Loop  (cost=100.00..2660.15 rows=333 width=70)
>>                Output: tab.a, tab.b, tab.ctid, foo.*, bar.*
>>                ->  Foreign Scan  (cost=100.00..2654.97 rows=333 width=56)
>>                      Output: foo.*, bar.*
>>                      Filter: (add(foo.a, bar.a) > 0)
>>                      Relations: (public.foo) INNER JOIN (public.bar)
>>                      Remote SQL: SELECT ROW(r2.a), ROW(r3.a), r2.a, r3.a
>> FROM (public.foo r2 INNER JOIN public.bar r3 ON (TRUE)) WHERE ((r2.a =
>> r3.a)) F
>> OR UPDATE OF r2 FOR UPDATE OF r3
>>                      ->  Hash Join  (cost=247.50..301.25 rows=333
>> width=56)
>>                            Output: foo.*, bar.*
>>                            Hash Cond: (foo.a = bar.a)
>>                            Join Filter: (add(foo.a, bar.a) > 0)
>>                            ->  Foreign Scan on public.foo
>> (cost=100.00..135.00 rows=1000 width=32)
>>                                  Output: foo.*, foo.a
>>                                  Remote SQL: SELECT a FROM public.foo FOR
>> UPDATE
>>                            ->  Hash  (cost=135.00..135.00 rows=1000
>> width=32)
>>                                  Output: bar.*, bar.a
>>                                  ->  Foreign Scan on public.bar
>> (cost=100.00..135.00 rows=1000 width=32)
>>                                        Output: bar.*, bar.a
>>                                        Remote SQL: SELECT a FROM
>> public.bar FOR UPDATE
>>                ->  Materialize  (cost=0.00..1.01 rows=1 width=14)
>>                      Output: tab.a, tab.b, tab.ctid
>>                      ->  Seq Scan on public.tab  (cost=0.00..1.01 rows=1
>> width=14)
>>                            Output: tab.a, tab.b, tab.ctid
>> (27 rows)
>>
>> postgres=# select tab.* from tab, foo, bar where foo.a = bar.a and
>> add(foo.a, bar.a) > 0 limit 1 for update;
>>
>> [Terminal 1]
>> postgres=# commit;
>> COMMIT
>>
>> [Terminal 2] (After the commit in Terminal 1, Terminal 2 will show the
>> following.)
>>  a | b
>> ---+---
>> (0 rows)
>>
>> This is wrong.  (Note that since the SELECT FOR UPDATE doesn't impose any
>> condition on a tuple from the local table tab, the EvalPlanQual recheck
>> executed should succeed.)  The reason for that is that the targetlist of
>> the local join plan is the same as for the ForeignScan, which outputs
>> neither foo.a nor bar.a required as an argument of the function add().
>>

> I see what you are trying to say now. In ExecScan, ExecScanFetch will
> execute the outer plan for EvalPlanQual check and then at
>  208         if (!qual || ExecQual(qual, econtext, false))
> it will try to evaluate the local conditions, where it needs the foo.a and
> bar.a which are not part of the projected output for ForeignScan and the
> outer plan.
>
> But then aren't the local conditions being evaluated twice, once by the
> outer plan and then again by ExecScan? Is this OK? What happens when the
> local conditions have side effects? We should probably delete them from the
> outer_plan's quals.
>
> The patch attached fixes the targetlist as per mail from Robert and the

Jeevan B Chalke
Principal Software Engineer, Product Development
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Phone: +91 20 30589500

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.