> On 2/12/16 2:58 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>

>>     So I think adding something like this needs to at least address
>>     *how* SQL level access would work, *when* it's eventually implemented.
>>

>> I understand - and I agree.
>>
>> small note: Private variables should not be executed from any SQL,
>> because SQL has not directly related schema. It can be executed only
>> from SQL embedded in some object with attached schema - PL functions,
>> views, constraints, .. So for this use case, the important information
>> is info about a container. We have to hold info about related schema in
>> planner/executor context.
>>

> I think that's probably true, but this also shows why we need to consider
> different PLs too. As it stands right now, the only way to access a
> variable outside of plpgsql would be to call a plpgsql function, and
> currently there's no way to make a plpgsql function private. So for this to
> work, private variables probably need to be exposed directly through the pl
> handler.
>
> Again, I'm not saying this all has to be implemented up front, but there
> needs to be a plan for how it would work.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to start a wiki page on this topic to
> start collecting stuff together.

I wrote some basic info -
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CREATE_PRIVATE_VARIABLE

I changed my opinion on initialization part. The private variables with non
null default should be initialized in session start. It is much more
practical and it can be used for triggering some ON CONNECT custom routines.

Regards

Pavel