16/02/16 07:46, Amit Langote wrote:
Hi Josh,

On 2016/02/16 11:41, Josh berkus wrote:
On 02/15/2016 04:28 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
Also, you won't see any optimizer and executor changes. Queries will still
use the same plans as existing inheritance-based partitioned tables,
although as I mentioned, constraint exclusion won't yet kick in. That will
be fixed very shortly.
We're not going to use CE for the new partitioning long-term, are we? This
is just the first version, right?
Yes. My approach in previous versions of stuffing major planner changes in
with the syntax patch was not quite proper in retrospect. So, I thought
I'd propose any major planner (and executor) changes later.

Thanks,
Amit

Hello Amit,

Thank you for your work. I'm currently working on extension aimed at planner optimization for partitioned tables (https://github.com/postgrespro/pg_pathman). At this moment I have an implementation of binary search for range partitioned tables with basic partitioning keys (date, timestamp, integers etc). And I'd like to try to combine your syntax and infrastructure with my binary search implementation. There likely will be changes in range syntax and partitions cache structure based on discussion. So looking forward for your next patch.

Ildar