On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Perhaps it was intentional when written, but if Robert's advice is
correct
> > that the new upper-planner path nodes should copy up parallel_degree
from
> > their children, then it cannot be the case that parallel_degree>0 in a
> > node above the scan level implies that that node type has any special
> > behavior for parallelism.

Right.

> > I continue to bemoan the lack of documentation about what these fields
> > mean.

Point taken and if Robert doesn't feel otherwise, I can try to write a
patch to explain the newly added fields.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cam3swzrs1mtvrkkasy1xbshgzxkd6-hnxx3gq7x-p-dz0zt...@mail.gmail.com

> In summary, I think it's surprising that a max_parallel_degree of 1
> doesn't disable parallel workers entirely.

I have responded on the thread where you have raised that point with my
thoughts, discussing it here on a separate point can dilute the purpose of
this thread.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.