[...]

I had originally kept it with one context per tablespace after refactoring this, but found that it gave worse results in rate limited loads even over only two tablespaces. That's on SSDs though.

Might just mean that a smaller context size is better on SSD, and it could still be better per table space.

The number of pages still in writeback (i.e. for which sync_file_range
has been issued, but which haven't finished running yet) at the end of
the checkpoint matters for the latency hit incurred by the fsync()s from
smgrsync(); at least by my measurement.

I'm not sure I've seen these performance... If you have hard evidence, please feel free to share it.

--
Fabien.