Hi,

On 19/03/16 11:46, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use logical replication mechanism in implementation of
PostgreSQL multimaster and faced with one conceptual problem.
Originally logical replication was intended to support asynchronous
replication. In this case applying changes by single process should not
be a bottleneck.
But if we are using distributed transaction manager to provide global
consistency, then applying transaction by one worker  leads to very bad
performance and what is worser: cause unintended serialization of
transactions, which is not taken in account by distributed deadlock
detection algorithm and so can cause
undetected deadlocks.

So I have implemented pool of background workers which can apply
transactions concurrently.
It works and shows acceptable performance. But now I am thinking about
HA and tracking origin LSNs which are needed to correctly specify slot
position in case of recovery. And there is a problem: as far as I
understand to correctly record origin LSN in WAL and advance slot
position it is necessary to setup session
using replorigin_session_setup. It is not so convenient in case of using
pool of background workers, because we have to setup session for each
commit.
But the main problem is that for each slot session can be associated
only with one process:

         else if (curstate->acquired_by != 0)
         {
             ereport(ERROR,
                     (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_IN_USE),
              errmsg("replication identifier %d is already active for
PID %d",
                     curstate->roident, curstate->acquired_by)));
         }

Which once again means that there can be only one process applying changes.

That's not true, all it means is that you can do replorigin_session_setup for same origin only in one process but you don't need to have it setup for session to update it, the replorigin_advance() works just fine.