On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2016-04-12 13:44:00 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW, I could see massive regressions with just 64 connections.
>>
>> With what settings?
>
> You mean pgbench or postgres? The former -M prepared -c 64 -j 64 -S. The
> latter just a large enough shared buffers to contains the scale 300
> database, and adapted maintenance_work_mem. Nothing special.

Well, something is different between your environment and mine,
since I saw no difference at scale 100 and 2.2% at scale 200.  So,
knowing more about your hardware, OS, configuration, etc., might
allow me to duplicate a problem so I can fix it.  For example, I
used a "real" pg config, like I would for a production machine
(because that seems to me to be the environment that is most
important): the kernel is 3.13 (not one with pessimal scheduling)
and has tuning for THP, the deadline scheduler, the vm.*dirty*
settings, etc.  Without knowing even the kernel and what tuning the
OS and pg have had on your box, I could take a lot of shots in the
dark without hitting anything.  Oh, and the output of `numactl
--hardware` would be good to have.  Thanks for all information you
can provide.

>>  With or without the patch to avoid the locks when off?
>
> Without. Your commit message made it sound like you need unrealistic or
> at least unusual numbers of connections, and that's afaics not the case.

It was the only reported case to that point, so the additional data
point is valuable, if I can tell where that point is.  And you
don't have any evidence that even with your configuration that any
performance regression remains for those who have the default value
for old_snapshot_threshold?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com