> On Apr 12, 2016, at 10:26 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
>> On 2016-04-12 21:58:14 +0200, reiner peterke wrote:
>>> Looking for some insight into this issue.  the error from the postgres
>>> log on ubuntu is below.  It apperas to be related to semephores.
>
>> I've a bit of a hard time believing that this is related to huge pages.
>
> I'm betting that's this:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cak7teys9-o4bterbs3xuk2bffnnd55u2sm9j5r2fi7v6bhj...@mail.gmail.com
>
>                       regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

You appear to have been correct.  :-)
The being led to believe it was connected to huge_pages turns out to have been
a coincidence since we had been working with huge_pages.

Postgres happened to crash close enough to trying the huge_pages and did not
appear to crash when they were disabled led us to make that conclusion.

After a bit more careful testing we found out that postgres did indeed crash
even without huge_pages.  The setting in the link appears to have resolved this
issue.

Thanks.

reiner