On 15 April 2016 at 13:30, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2016-04-15 13:26:35 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
>> >
>> > AFAIR, what we were discussing was disallowing any index on a system
>> > column (other than OID).  I do not see why only unique indexes are
>> > problematic for them; the semantic issues are independent of that.
>>
>> I have to admit that my thoughts only considered ctid, which I
>> imagined would have been OK to have an index on. As for the other
>> system columns (apart from OID), I agree.
>
> What'd be the point of indexing ctid, and why would it be correct?
> Wouldn't, hm, HOT break it?

I don't personally see the point. I was just concerned that if there's
a slight chance that it's useful, then someone might have one
somewhere in the wild, and they might have problems restoring pg_dump
backups, once we disallow it.

The attached patch just disallows any index containing a system
column, apart from OID.

Is it worth making some changes to pg_dump to skip such indexes?