On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Aleksander Alekseev <
a.aleks...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> > Does it make sense to you guys to discuss compression outside of TLS?
> > There are potentially huge bandwidth savings which could benefit both
> > WAN and non-WAN scenarios, and decoupling this problem from TLS would
> > make it both accessible to everyone (assuming PostgreSQL clients
> > follow). It would be a protocol change though.
>
> I personally don't think it's something that should be implemented in
> PostgreSQL core. As a third-party TCP-proxy (on both client and server
> sides) with gzip/lz4 support perhaps. I'll be not surprised if it turns
> out that such projects already exist.

Hm, did you see this recent discussion on -hackers:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMkU=1zt9cjaQjVYAmywcP9iyxMJxFBUaVeB1eiaqBP=gej...@mail.gmail.com#CAMkU=1zt9cjaQjVYAmywcP9iyxMJxFBUaVeB1eiaqBP=gej...@mail.gmail.com
?

I guess since the usual answer for compression was "use what SSL provides
you for free", it's rather unlikely that someone bothered to make a proxy
just for that purpose, and really, a proxy is just another moving part in
your setup: not everyone will be thrilled to add that.

--
Alex