createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  checkpoint request failed
HINT:  Consult recent messages in the server log for details.

Attached is a simpler/faster version, based on the previous script, I just added a CHECKPOINT after the EXPLAIN ANALYSE.

It fails on head with:

 HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_wal_size".
 ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task
 CONTEXT:  automatic vacuum of table "fabien.public.pgbench_accounts"
 ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task
 CONTEXT:  automatic analyze of table "fabien.public.pgbench_accounts_1"
 ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task
 CONTEXT:  automatic analyze of table "fabien.public.pgbench_accounts_2"
 ERROR:  could not fsync file "base/16384/16397.1": No such file or directory
 ERROR:  checkpoint request failed
 HINT:  Consult recent messages in the server log for details.
 STATEMENT:  CHECKPOINT;

I tried it on pg prior to the flushing patches and it did not fail, so it seems to be related somehow. Probably the fix is similar, just some conditions to check when dealing with a file which has been removed by a large DELETE.

--
Fabien.