Although this is getting slightly off the original topic, rereading .psqlrc
is a potential can of worms. What triggers a reread? What portions of
.psqlrc are re-read?

For example, say I have just set tuples-only, extended-display, or output
file. Would they all get reset just because I changed connections?

You can use variables to approximate the behavior of aliases so you can
hack an alias that includes the reconnect and re-read. Or just \i ~/.psqlrc
as you deem necessary.

Cheers,
Steve