Instead of allocating this memory unconditionally for each buffer,
wouldn't it be better to set all the page pointers to NULL in
GenericXLogStart and allocate memory only once a buffer is registered
in GenericXLogRegisterBuffer when finding a free slot? This patch is
wasting many cycles.

GenericXLogRegisterBuffer() could be called in another MemoryContext what
can be a reason for strange bugs. Right now only a few pages could be
involved in one round of GenericWal. I don't believe that such allocation
could be a reason of noticable performance degradation. Although I didn't
check that.
--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teo...@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/