Tom Lane wrote:
<snip>
The deletion procedure could be triggered immediately upon removal of the
last item in a page, or when the next VACUUM scan finds an empty page.
Not sure yet which way is better.
Having it triggered immediately upon removal of the last item in a page would make for a more "self maintaining" system wouldn't it? That sounds nice. :)

<snip>
In theory, if we find recyclable page(s) at the physical end of the index,
we could truncate the file (ie, give the space back to the filesystem)
instead of reporting these pages to FSM.  I am not sure if this is worth
doing --- in most cases it's likely that little space can be released this
way, and there may be some tricky locking issues.
Sounds like this would be beneficial for environments with high update/delete transaction volumes, perhaps on smaller amounts of live/valid data.

<snip>
This could be ignored in first implementation (there's always REINDEX).
Later, possibly handle it via Lanin&Shasha's notion of a critic (think
VACUUM) that sets a fast pointer to the current effective root level.
(Actually I think we wouldn't need a separate critic process; split and
delete steps could be programmed to update the fast pointer for
themselves, in a separate atomic action, when they split a one-page level
or delete the next-to-last page of a level.)
This really sounds like good initial thoughts too.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi