On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> wrote:

> I suspect another wrinkle here is that in the GIS world a single point can
> be represented it multiple reference/coordinate systems, and it would have
> different values in each of them. AIUI the transforms between those systems
> can be rather complicated if different projection methods are involved. I
> don't know if PostGIS depends on what these macros are doing or not. If it
> doesn't, perhaps it would be sufficient to lop of the last few bits of the
> significand. ISTM that'd be much better than what the macros currently do.

We don't depend on these, we have our own :/
The real answer for a GIS system is to have an explicit tolerance
parameter for calculations like distance/touching/containment, but
unfortunately we didn't do that so now we have our own
compatibility/boil the ocean problem if we ever wanted/were funded to
add one.
P.