On 2016-06-03 13:47:58 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >> I really don't get it.  There's nothing in any set of guidelines for
> >> setting shared_buffers that I've ever seen which would cause people to
> >> avoid this scenario.
> >
> > The "roughly 1/4" of memory guideline already mostly avoids it? It's
> > hard to constantly re-dirty a written-back page within 30s, before the
> > 10% (background)/20% (foreground) limits apply; if your shared buffers
> > are larger than the 10%/20% limits (which only apply to *available* not
> > total memory btw).
>
> I've always heard that guideline as "roughly 1/4, but not more than
> about 8GB" - and the number of people with more than 32GB of RAM is
> going to just keep going up.

I think that upper limit is wrong.  But even disregarding that:

To hit the issue in that case you have to access more data than
shared_buffers (8GB), and very frequently re-dirty already dirtied
data. So you're basically (on a very rough approximation) going to have
to write more than 8GB within 30s (256MB/s).  Unless your hardware can
handle that many mostly random writes, you are likely to hit the worst
case behaviour of pending writeback piling up and stalls.

> > I'm inclined to give up and disable backend_flush_after (not the rest),
> > because it's new and by far the "riskiest". But I do think it's a
> > disservice for the majority of our users.
>
> I think that's the right course of action.  I wasn't arguing for
> disabling either of the other two.

Noah was...

Greetings,

Andres Freund