On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Yikes: heap_update() sets the tuple's XMAX, CMAX, infomask, infomask2,
> >> and CTID without logging anything or clearing the all-visible flag and
> >> then releases the lock on the heap page to go do some more work that
> >> might even ERROR out.
> >
> > Can't we clear the all-visible flag before releasing the lock?  We can
use
> > logic of already_marked as it is currently used in code to clear it just
> > once.
>
> That just kicks the can down the road.  Then you have PD_ALL_VISIBLE
> clear but the VM bit is still set.

I mean to say clear both as we are doing currently in code:
if (PageIsAllVisible(BufferGetPage(buffer)))
{
all_visible_cleared = true;
PageClearAllVisible(BufferGetPage(buffer));
visibilitymap_clear(relation, BufferGetBlockNumber(buffer),
vmbuffer);
}

>   And you still haven't WAL-logged
> anything.

Yeah, I think WAL requirement is more difficult to meet and I think
releasing the lock on buffer before writing WAL could lead to flush of such
a buffer before WAL.

I feel this is an existing-bug and should go to Older Bugs Section in open
items page.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.