On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> I think we can achieve it just by doing something like what you have
> >> mentioned in (2) and (3).  I am not sure if there is a need to skip
> >> generation of gather paths for top scan/join node.  Please see the
patch
> >> attached.  I have just done some minimal testing to ensure that problem
> >> reported by Thomas Munro in this thread is fixed and verified that the
fix
> >> is sane for problems [1][2] reported by sqlsmith. If you think this is
on
> >> right lines, I can try to do more verification and try to add tests.
> >
> > You can't do it this way because of the issue Tom discussed here:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/16421.1465828...@sss.pgh.pa.us

I think although we are always adding a projection path in
apply_projection_to_path() to subpath of Gather path if target is parallel
safe, still they can be used directly if create_projection_plan() doesn't
add a Result node.  So changing them directly after being pushed below
Gather is not a safe bet.

> Something like what you have there might work if you use
> create_projection_path instead of apply_projection_to_path.

Okay, I think you mean to say use create_projection_path() while applying
scanjoin_target to partial path lists in below code:
foreach(lc, current_rel->partial_pathlist)
{
Path   *subpath = (Path *) lfirst(lc);
Assert(subpath->param_info == NULL);
lfirst(lc) = apply_projection_to_path(root, current_rel,
subpath, scanjoin_target,
scanjoin_target_parallel_safe);
}

With Regards,