 >> (It can, AFAICT, be inside the currently valid range due to
 >> wraparound, i.e. without there being a valid pg_multixact entry for
 >> it, because AFAICT in 9.2, once the mxid is hinted dead it is never
 >> again either looked up or cleared, so it can sit in the tuple xmax
 >> forever, even through multiple wraparounds.)

 Alvaro> HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum removes very old multixacts

It does nothing of the kind; it only marks them HEAP_XMAX_INVALID. The
actual mxid remains in the tuple xmax field.

The failing mxids in the case I analyzed on -bugs are failing _in spite
of_ being already hinted HEAP_XMAX_INVALID, because the code path in
question doesn't check that.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)