On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Conclusion: something we did in 8.4 greatly bloated the postmaster's
> stack space consumption, to the point that it's significantly more than
> anything a normal backend does.  That's surprising and scary, because
> it means the postmaster is *more* exposed to stack SIGSEGV than most
> backends.  We need to find the cause, IMO.

Hm. I do something based on your test where I build a .so and started
the postmaster with -c shared_preload_libraries to load it. I tried to
run it on every revision I have built for the historic benchmarks.
That only worked as far back as 8.4.0 -- which makes me suspect it's
possibly because of precisely shared_preload_libraries and the dynamic
linker that the stack size grew....

The only thing it actually revealed was a *drop* of 50kB between
REL9_2_0~1610 and REL9_2_0~1396.

REL8_4_0~1702 188K
REL8_4_0~1603 192K
REL8_4_0~1498 188K