dbcharset <-> utf8 <-> java/utf16
where the dbcharset to/from utf8 conversion is done by the backend and the utf8 to/from java/utf16 is done in the jdbc driver.
Prior to 7.3 the jdbc driver did the entire conversion itself. However versions of the jdk prior to 1.4 do a terrible job when it comes to the performance of the conversion. So for a significant speed up in 7.3 we moved most of the work to the backend.
Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Why was the particular change made between 7.2 and
7.3? It seems to have moved away from the standard. I found the
Which generates the mappings. I found it references 3 files from unicode
The JIS0208.TXT has the line...
0x8160 0x2141 0x301C # WAVE DASH
1st col is sjis, 2nd is EUC - 0x8080, 3rd is utf16.
Incidently those mapping files are marked obsolete but I guess the old
mappings still hold.
I guess if I run the perl script it will generate a mapping file
different to what postgresql is currently using. It might be interesting
to pull out the diffs and see what's right/wrong. I guess its not run
I can't see how the change will affect the JDBC driver. It should only
improve the situation. Right now its not possible to go from sjis ->
database (utf8) -> java (jdbc/utf16) -> sjis for the WAVE DASH character
because the mapping is wrong in postgresql. I'll cc the JDBC list and
maybe we'll find out if its a real problem to change the mapping.
Changing the mapping I think is the correct thing to do from what I can
see all around me in different tools like iconv, java 1.4.1, utf-8
terminal and any unicode reference on the web.
What do you think?
On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 22:30, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
I think the problem you see is due to the the mapping table changes between 7.2 and 7.3. It seems there are more changes other than u301c. Moreover according to the recent discussion in Japanese local mailing list, 7.3's JDBC driver now relies on the encoding conversion performed by the backend. ie. The driver issues "set client_encoding = 'UNICODE'". This problem is very complex and I need time to find good solution. I don't think simply backout the changes to the mapping table solves the problem.Hi all, One Japanese character has been causing my head to swim lately. I've finally tracked down the problem to both Java 1.3 and Postgresql. The problem character is namely: utf-16: 0x301C utf-8: 0xE3809C SJIS: 0x8160 EUC_JP: 0xA1C1 Otherwise known as the WAVE DASH character. The confusion stems from a very similar character 0xFF5E (utf-16) or 0xEFBD9E (utf-8) the FULLWIDTH TILDE. Java has just lately (1.4.1) finally fixed their mappings so that 0x301C maps correctly to both the correct SJIS and EUC-JP character. Previously (at least in 1.3.1) they mapped SJIS to 0xFF5E and EUC to 0x301C, causing all sorts of trouble. Postgresql at least picked one of the two characters namely 0xFF5E, so conversions in and out of the database to/from sjis/euc seemed to be working. Problem is when you try to view utf-8 from the database or if you read the data into java (utf-16) and try converting to euc or sjis from there. Anyway, I think postgresql needs to be fixed for this character. In my opinion what needs to be done is to change the mappings... euc-jp -> utf-8 -> euc-jp ====== ======== ====== 0xA1C1 -> 0xE3809C 0xA1C1 sjis -> utf-8 -> sjis ====== ======== ====== 0x8160 -> 0xE3809C 0x8160 As to what to do with the current mapping of 0xEFBD9E (utf-8)? It probably should be removed. Maybe you could keep the mapping back to the sjis/euc characters to help backward compatibility though. I'm not sure what is the correct approach there. If anyone can tell me how to edit the mappings under: src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/ and rebuild postgres to use them, then I can test this out locally.Just edit src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/*.map and rebiuld PostgreSQL. Probably you might want to modify utf8_to_euc_jp.map and euc_jp_to_utf8.map. -- Tatsuo Ishii
---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate subscribe-nomail command to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so that your message can get through to the mailing list cleanly