> Hi,
>
> On 07/29/2016 01:15 PM, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Some time ago we discussed an idea of "fast temporary tables":
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160301182500.2c81c3dc%40fujitsu
>>
>> In two words the idea is following.
>>
>> <The Idea>
>>
>> PostgreSQL stores information about all relations in pg_catalog. Some
>> applications create and delete a lot of temporary tables. It causes a
>> bloating of pg_catalog and running auto vacuum on it. It's quite an
>> expensive operation which affects entire database performance.
>>
>> We could introduce a new type of temporary tables. Information about
>> these tables is stored not in a catalog but in backend's memory. This
>> way user can solve a pg_catalog bloating problem and improve overall
>> database performance.
>>
>> </The Idea>
>>

> Great! Thanks for the patch, this is definitely an annoying issue worth
> fixing. I've spent a bit of time looking at the patch today, comments below

Yes, it some what we need long time

>> I took me a few months but eventually I made it work. Attached patch
>> has some flaws. I decided not to invest a lot of time in documenting
>> it or pgindent'ing all files yet. In my experience it will be rewritten
>> entirely 3 or 4 times before merging anyway :) But it _works_ and
>> passes all tests I could think of, including non-trivial cases like
>> index-only or bitmap scans of catalog tables.
>>

> Well, jokes aside, that's a pretty lousy excuse for not writing any docs,
> and you're pretty much asking the reviewers to reverse-engineer your
> reasoning. So I doubt you'll get many serious reviews without fixing this
> gap.
>
> Usage example:
>>
>> ```
>> CREATE FAST TEMP TABLE fasttab_test1(x int, s text);
>>
>> INSERT INTO fasttab_test1 VALUES (1, 'aaa'), (2, 'bbb'), (3, 'ccc');
>>
>> UPDATE fasttab_test1 SET s = 'ddd' WHERE x = 2;
>>
>> DELETE FROM fasttab_test1 WHERE x = 3;
>>
>> SELECT * FROM fasttab_test1 ORDER BY x;
>>
>> DROP TABLE fasttab_test1;
>> ```
>>
>> More sophisticated examples could be find in regression tests:
>>
>> ./src/test/regress/sql/fast_temp.sql
>>
>> Any feedback on this patch will be much appreciated!
>>

> 1) I wonder whether the FAST makes sense - does this really change the
> performance significantly? IMHO you only move the catalog rows to memory,
> so why should the tables be any faster? I also believe this conflicts with
> SQL standard specification of CREATE TABLE.

Probably has zero value to have slow and fast temp tables (from catalogue
cost perspective). So the FAST implementation should be used everywhere.
But there are some patterns used with work with temp tables,that should not
working, and we would to decide if we prepare workaround or not.

-- problematic pattern (old code)
IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE ....) THEN
  CREATE TEMP TABLE xxx()
ELSE
  TRUNCATE TABLE xxx;
END IF;

-- modern patter (new code)
BEGIN
  TRUNCATE TABLE xxx;
EXCEPTION WHEN ..... THEN
  CREATE TEMP TABLE(...)
END;

In this case we can use GUC, because visible behave should be same.

The benefit of zero catalogue cost temp tables is significant - and for
some larger applications the temp tables did hard performance issues.

> 2) Why do we need the new relpersistence value? ISTM we could easily got
> with just RELPERSISTENCE_TEMP, which would got right away of many chances
> as the steps are exactly the same.
>
> IMHO if this patch gets in, we should use it as the only temp table
> implementation (Or can you think of cases where keeping rows in pg_class
> has advantages?). That'd also eliminate the need for FAST keyword in the
> CREATE TABLE command.
>
> The one thin I'm not sure about is that our handling of temporary tables
> is not standard compliant - we require each session to create it's own
> private temporary table. Moving the rows from pg_class into backend memory
> seems to go in the opposite direction, but as no one was planning to fix
> this, I don't think it matters much.
>
> 3) I think the heapam/indexam/xact and various other places needs a major
> rework. You've mostly randomly sprinkled the code with function calls to
> make the patch work - that's fine for an initial version, but a more
> principled approach is needed.
>
> 4) I'm getting failures in the regression suite - apparently the patch
> somehow affects costing of index only scans, so that a several queries
> switch from index only scans to bitmap index scans etc. I haven't
> investigated this more closely, but it seems quite consistent (and I don't
> see it without the patch). It seems the patch delays building of visibility
> map, or something like that.

Some other random notes:

1. With this code should not be hard to implement global temp tables -
shared persistent structure, temp local data - significant help for any who
have to migrate from Oracle.

2. This should to work on slaves - it is one of ToDo

3. I didn't see support for memory store for column's statistics. Some
separate questions is about production statistics - pg_stat_user_table, ..

Great and important work, thank you

Pavel