On 08/05/2016 06:24 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Attached is v19 of the "multivariate stats" patch series - essentially v18
rebased on top of current master. Aside from a few bug fixes, the main
improvement is addition of SGML docs demonstrating the statistics in a way
similar to the current "Row Estimation Examples" (and the docs are actually
in the same section). I've tried to keep the right amount of technical
detail (and pointing to the right README for additional details), but this
may need improvements. I have not written docs explaining how statistics may
be combined yet (more about this later).

What we have here is quite something:
$ git diff master --stat | tail -n1
I will try to get familiar on the topic and added myself as a reviewer
of this patch. Hopefully I'll get feedback soon.

Yes, it's a large patch. Although 25% of the insertions are SGML docs, regression tests and READMEs, and large part of the remaining ~9k insertions are comments. But it may still be overwhelming, no doubt about that.

FWIW, if someone is interested in the patch but is unsure where to start, I'm ready to help with that as much as possible. For example if you happen to go to PostgresOpen, feel free to drag me to a corner and ask me as many questions as you want ...

regards