On 08/22/2016 07:49 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
Nice to see you working on this again.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:
A sequential scan of a table like that with 10 million rows took about 700
ms on my laptop, when the hint bits are set, without this patch. With this
patch, if there's a snapshot holding back the xmin horizon, so that we need
to check the CSN log for every XID, it took about 30000 ms. So we have some
optimization work to do :-). I'm not overly worried about that right now, as
I think there's a lot of room for improvement in the SLRU code. But that's
the next thing I'm going to work.

So the worst case for this patch is obviously bad right now and, as
you say, that means that some optimization work is needed.

But what about the best case?  If we create a scenario where there are
no open read-write transactions at all and (somehow) lots and lots of
ProcArrayLock contention, how much does this help?

I ran some quick pgbench tests on my laptop, but didn't see any meaningful benefit. I think the best I could see is about 5% speedup, when running "pgbench -S", with 900 idle connections sitting in the background. On the positive side, I didn't see much slowdown either. (Sorry, I didn't record the details of those tests, as I was testing many different options and I didn't see a clear difference either way.)

It seems that Amit's PGPROC batch clearing patch was very effective. I remember seeing ProcArrayLock contention very visible earlier, but I can't hit that now. I suspect you'd still see contention on bigger hardware, though, my laptop has oly 4 cores. I'll have to find a real server for the next round of testing.

Because there's only a purpose to trying to minimize the losses if
there are some gains to which we can look forward.

Aside from the potential performance gains, this slashes a lot of complicated code:

That removed code is quite mature at this point, and I'm sure we'll add some code back to this patch as it evolves, but still.

Also, I'm looking forward for a follow-up patch, to track snapshots in backends at a finer level, so that vacuum could remove tuples more aggressively, if you have pg_dump running for days. CSN snapshots isn't a strict requirement for that, but it makes it simpler, when you can represent a snapshot with a small fixed-size integer.

Yes, seeing some direct performance gains would be nice too.

- Heikki