On 23/08/16 08:27, Tom Lane wrote:
Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
On 2016-08-22 13:54:43 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I'm inclined to suggest you forget this approach and propose a single
counter for "SQL commands executed", which avoids all of the above
definitional problems.  People who need more detail than that are
probably best advised to look to contrib/pg_stat_statements, anyway.
I disagree.  I think SQL commands executed, lumping absolutely
everything together, really isn't much use.
I'm inclined to agree. I think that's a quite useful stat when looking
at an installation one previously didn't have a lot of interaction with.
Well, let's at least have an "other" category so you can add up the
counters and get a meaningful total.

                        regards, tom lane

Initially I thought of something I thought was factious, but then realized it might actually be both practicable & useful...

How about 2 extra categories (if appropriate!!!):

1. Things that actually might be sort of as fitting in 2 or more of the
   existing categories, or there is an ambiguity as to which category
   is appropriate.

2. Things that don't fit into any existing category

This was inspired by a real use case, in a totally unrelated area - but where I attempted to ensure counts were in the most useful categories I was able to provide. The user had listed categories, but I found that the data didn't always fit neatly into them as specified.

Cheers,

Gavin