Bruce Momjian wrote:

mlw wrote:

I raised the possibility of moving the pid file only last week. Tom
pointed out that it acts as a lock on the database to prevent two
postmasters' trying to manage the same database. As such it should NOT
be a configurable parameter.

This is a different PID file. Sorry, this one is specifically for FHS systems. The postmaster.pid file, as used by PostgreSQL remains in the data directory.

Uh, how does this work if you don't do an FHS install --- where does it
put this FHS postmaster.pid file?

If there is no runtime_pidfile setting, (either in the configuration file or with "-R") no file is writen.

http://archives.postgresql.org