On 2016/08/01 21:14, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
I noticed that the following note about direct modification via
GetForeignUpperPaths in fdwhandler.sgml is a bit confusing.  We have
another approach using PlanDirectModify, so that should be reflected in
the note as well.  Please find attached a patch.

     <function>PlanForeignModify</> and the other callbacks described in
     <xref linkend="fdw-callbacks-update"> are designed around the
assumption
     that the foreign relation will be scanned in the usual way and then
     individual row updates will be driven by a local
<literal>ModifyTable</>
     plan node.  This approach is necessary for the general case where an
     update requires reading local tables as well as foreign tables.
     However, if the operation could be executed entirely by the foreign
     server, the FDW could generate a path representing that and insert it
     into the <literal>UPPERREL_FINAL</> upper relation, where it would
     compete against the <literal>ModifyTable</> approach.

I'll add this to the upcoming CF.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita