Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

It sounds like the most useful thing I can do at the moment is perform
code reviews.  I assumed I'd need more experience with the PG code
base, but I keep on reading that newcomers' reviews are welcome.
Unless someone has a better idea, I'll start with that.

The projects that Pavel and David mentioned sound very interesting.
Hopefully I can tackle one of them after I've done a few code reviews.

Thanks again,
Christian