On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We could get around (1) by something like Robert's idea of segmented
> allocation, but TBH I've seen nothing on this thread to make me think
> it's necessary or would even result in any performance improvement
> at all.  The bigger we make that array, the worse index-cleaning
> is going to perform, and complicating the data structure will add
> another hit on top of that.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen cases where two binary searches were
faster than a single binary search, especially when working with
humongus arrays like this tid array, because touching less (memory)
pages for a search does pay off considerably.

I'd try before giving up on the idea.

The test results (which I'll post in a second) do give credit to your
expectation that making the array bigger/more complex does impact
index scan performance. It's still faster than scanning several times
though.