Hi,

As I understand it, a merge join will currently read all tuples from both
subqueries (besides early termination). I believe it should be possible to
take advantages of the indexes on one or both of the tables being read from
to skip a large number of tuples that would currently be read. As an
example, let's say we are doing equi merge join between two tables with the
following data:

  (3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11)
  (0, 1, 2, 6, 7, 8)

Currently, even though no tuples would be returned from the merge join, all
of the data will be read from both tables. If there are indexes on both
tables, pg should be able to execute as follows. Get the tuple with value 3
from the first table and then look up the first value greater than 3 in the
second table using the index. In this case, that value would be 6. Since 3
!= 6, pg would then look up the lowest value greater than 6 in the first
table. This process repeats, and tuples are output whenever the values are
equal. This can be thought of as an alternating nested loop join, where the
positions in the indexes are maintained. In the case where only one of the
tables has an index, this can be thought of as a nested loop join where the
inner relation is the table with the index, and the position in that index
is maintained while iterating over the outer relation (the outer relation
would need to be sorted for this to work).

I can't demonstrate in any benchmarks, but I imagine this would
dramatically speed up cases of a merge join between two tables where the
number of tuples that satisfy the join condition is small. I don't know the
Postgres internals well enough to know if there is anything obvious that
would prevent this optimization.

Thanks,
Michael