Hello Amit,

[...]
Then you would get the -r cut at the end of the compound command. Thus the
current version gives full control of what will appear in the summary. If
I change "\into xxx\n" to mean "also cut here", then there is less control
on when the cut occurs when into is used.

So it means that position of \into affects where a compound command gets
cut for -r display.  I was just wondering if that was unintentional.

Yes, but it happens to work reasonnably:-)

The other thing I have considered is whether to implemented a "\gset"
syntax, as suggested by Pavel and Tom. Bar the aesthetic, the main issue I
have with it is that it does not work with compound commands, and what I
want is to get the values out of compound commands... because of my focus
on latency... so basically "\gset" does not do the job I want... Now I
recognize that other people would like it, so probably I'll do it anyway
in another patch.

So, psql's \gset does not work as desired for compound commands (viz. it
is only able to save the result of the last sub-command).

Yes.

You need to use \gset with each sub-command separately if no result should be discarded. Because of undesirable latency characteristics of sending multiple commands, you want to be able to modify compound command handling such that every sub-command's result could be saved.

Exactly.

In that regard, it's good that pgbench does not use PQexec() which only returns the result of the last sub-command if a compound command was issued through it.

Indeed!

 pgbench's
doCustom() currently discards all results by issuing discard_response().
You propose to change things such that results are intercepted in a new
function read_response(), values assigned to intovars corresponding to
each sub-command, and then discarded. The intovars arrays are allocated
within each sub-command's Command struct when parsing the compound command
based on where \into is located wrt to the sub-command.

Yep.

So, most of the code in the patch is about handling compound statements to
be be able to save results of all sub-commands, not just the last.

Yep. Previously pgbench did not need to handle compounds commands which where just seen as one large string.

Note that the added machinery is also a first step to allow the handling of prepared statements on compounds command, which I think is a desirable feature for benchmarks.

Do you think it would be OK to suffer the bad latency of multiple round trips and implement a version of \into (or \gset or \ginto) for pgbench scripts that behaves exactly like psql's \gset as a first step?

I do not see gset as a reasonnable "first step" because: (0) "\into" already works while "\gset" in pgbench will need some time that I do not have at the moment (1) it is not what I want/need to do a clean bench (2) the feature is not orthogonal to compounds statements -- which is what I want -- (3) I do not like the "implicit" naming thing -- but this is really just a matter of taste.

I simply recognize that Peter & Tom have a point: whatever I think of gset it is there in "psql" so it makes some sense to have it as well in "pgbench", so I agree to put that on my pgbench todo list.

But you say you will do it as another patch.

Yep. I suggested another patch because it is a different feature and previous submissions where I mixed features, even closely related ones, all resulted in me having to separate the features in distinct patches.

By the way, I tend to agree with your point about \gset syntax being
suitable (only) in a interactive context such as psql; it's not as
readable as \into x y ... when used in a script.

Yep, but as people already know it, it makes sense to provide it as well at some point.

--
Fabien.