On 09/22/2016 07:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I have just encountered an apparent bug in pg_upgrade (or possibly pg_dump).
Hmm, it sort of looks like pg_dump believes it should dump the range's
constructor function in binary-upgrade mode, while the backend is creating
the constructor function during CREATE TYPE anyway.  But if that's the
case, upgrade of user-defined range types would never have worked ...
seems like we should have noticed before now.

If that diagnosis is correct, we should either change pg_dump to not
dump that function, or change CREATE TYPE AS RANGE to not auto-create
the constructor functions in binary-upgrade mode.  The latter might be
more flexible in the long run.

Yeah, I think your diagnosis is correct. I'm not sure I see the point of the flexibility given that you can't specify a constructor function for range types (if that feature had been available I would probably have used it in this extension).

cheers

andrew