On 10/06/2016 02:24 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Michael Banck
<michael.ba...@credativ.de> wrote:
My colleague Christoph Berg pointed out that pg_rewind could just set
synchronous_commit = local before creating the temporary table, which
indeed works, proof-of-concept patch attached

Even synchronous_commit = off would not matter much, and we could just
use that for performance reasons. The temporary table used in this
context is just used to track the delta chunks of blocks, so this
solution sounds better to me. I'll patch 9.4's pg_rewind similarly to
what is decided here, and we could as well use an extra PQexec call to
bring more clarity for the code, now an extra round-trip could be a
big deal where network lag matters, but compared to the COPY chunks
sent out that would not matter much I guess.

Committed, thanks! I moved the call to where we establish the connection, that felt slightly more natural.

- Heikki