On 18/10/16 14:12, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Merlin Moncure wrote:

We had several good backups since the previous outage so it's not
clear the events are related but after months of smooth operation I
find that coincidence highly suspicious. As always, we need to suspect
hardware problems but I'm highly abstracted from them -- using esx +
san.
Ah, so you're subject not only to hardware flaws but also to
virtualization layer bugs :-)
Wait a couple of more years, and we'll get more complains about
Postgres running in containers running in VMs. Even more fun waiting
ahead.

that started life on different hardware with a different O/S