On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> From: pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org
>> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Magnus Hagander
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
>> <tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>>       As a similar topic, I wonder whether the following still holds true,
>> after many improvements on shared buffer lock contention.
>>
>>       https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-re
>> source.html
>>
>>               "The useful range for shared_buffers on Windows systems
>> is generally from 64MB to 512MB."
>>

>> Yes, that may very much be out of date as well. A good set of benchmarks
>> around that would definitely be welcome.
>

> I'd like to propose the above-mentioned comment from the manual.  The patch
> is attached.
>
> I ran read-only and read-write modes of pgbench, and could not see any
> apparent decrease in performance when I increased shared_buffers.  The
> scaling factor is 200, where the database size is roughly 3GB.  I ran the
> benchmark on my Windows 10 PC with 6 CPU cores and 16GB of RAM.  The database
> and WAL is stored on the same HDD.
>
> <<Test batch file>>
> @echo off
> for %%s in (256MB 512MB 1GB 2GB 4GB) do (
>   pg_ctl -w -o "-c shared_buffers=%%s" start
>   pgbench -c18 -j6 -T60 -S bench >> g:\b.txt 2>&1
>   pg_ctl -t 3600 stop
> )
>
> <<Select-only (with -S)>>
> shared_buffers  tps
> 256MB  63056
> 512MB  63918
> 1GB  65520
> 2GB  66840
> 4GB  68270
>
> <<Read-write (without -S)>>
> shared_buffers  tps
> 256MB  1138
> 512MB  1187
> 1GB  1571
> 2GB  1650
> 4GB  1598

Isn't it somewhat strange that writes are showing big win whereas
reads doesn't show much win?  Can you once do some longer read-write
tests to see if we get consistent data and take the median-of-three
runs data?  Above benchmarks doesn't seem to indicate that increase in
shared buffers upto 25% of RAM shows significant win on Windows
systems, because the performance of writes increase upto 2GB and then
starts decreasing.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.