Review of the pg_sequences view.
This seems like a useful addition to me, making life easier for
administrators and monitoring tools. While there is already a view in
information_schema it is missing cache_size and last_value.
= Functional review
- The patch applies and passes the test suite without any issue.
- A worry is that it might get a bit confusing to have both the future
catalog pg_sequence and the view pg_sequences.
- I think it would be useful to include is_cycled in the view.
- When creating a temporary sequences and then running "SELECT * FROM
pg_sequences" in another session I get the following error.
ERROR: cannot access temporary tables of other sessions
- Shouldn't last_value be NULL directly after we have created the
sequence but nobody has called nextval() yet?
- I noticed that last_value includes the cached values, but that also
seems to me like the correct thing to do.
- I do not like the name of the new function, lastval(regclass). I think
like you suggested it would be better with something more verbose.
- There is an XXX comment still in the code. It is about the name of the
- The documentation does not mention the last_value column.
- The extra empty line after "</table>" does not fit with the formatting
of the rest of the SGML file.
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To make changes to your subscription: