We have an application which syncs Access databases with PostgreSQL (I know that this is VERY ugly). It is a simple script based Access application. People wanted that application because they are familiar with Microsoft stuff. When Access establishes a connection to PostgreSQL everything is just fine. If Access is closed properly everything is still fine - the server side backend dies just the way it is supposed to die. However, if Access crashes or if the dial-up connections goes down the connection is not closed explicitly and the server side backend stays alive forever - even if the Windows client is rebooted.

As you can easily imagine that there are MANY dead backends around at the end of the day. Is there a way for PostgreSQL to found out that the connection is lost? This problem occurs in combination with ODBC - I haven't seen it anywhere else up to now.

Did anybody encouter similar problems?

Regards,

       Hans
<http://kernel.cybertec.at>