> If the backend can not handle the version I request, but can handle a
> prior version, I'd like to know.  I am planning on having handlers for
> multiple protocol versions in the same memory space (I'm using
> Smalltalk, BTW) so that one application can talk to various databases
of
> various vintages.

how about a system table, say pg_features which can be queried by the fe
interface?  This could be a table of bools with named features and/or
other little widgets for compatibility.  No protocol modification
required, unless the scope of the protocol change is such that you can't
execute a connection and a query.

Merlin