On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> writes:
>> The best thing by far about an alternative design like this is that it
>> performs *consistently*.
>
> Really?  I think it just moves the issues somewhere else.

Definitely, yes.

* HOT is great and all, but HOT-safety is a pretty onerous thing to
ask users to worry about. They don't know anything about it. Maybe
WARM eventually helps with this -- I don't know about that.

* It's bad that the effectiveness of index-only scans is strongly
influenced by the visibility map. And, autovacuum doesn't care about
index-only scans (nor should it, I suppose).

* The high watermark size of a table is much higher for an
update-mostly workload. When bloat is localized to certain values in
indexes, it's a lot worse.

* Our behavior with many duplicates in secondary indexes is pretty bad
in general, I suspect. I think we do badly at amortizing inserts into
indexes from updates (we dirty more leaf pages than we really need
to). I think we could do better at making LP_DEAD style IndexTuple
recycling more effective.

* Most obviously, autovacuum can create significant load at
inconvenient times. Paying that cost in a piecemeal fashion has a
certain appeal.

For what it's worth, I am not planning to work on this.

--
Peter Geoghegan